High concept: StoneHeart is a 2D platform based shooting game, where the player has to go though the hazards of the level by making use of her different arrows.
Instructors: Thomas Komair, Iker Silvano
Type: Team project
Engine: 2D data driven Entity Component System game engine built from scratch in C++. We used some external libraries such as OpenGL, Fmod, Json and stb image.
Finalist – Best Student Game at Gamelab Barcelona 2016
Finalist – Best Basque Game at AzPlay 2016
Finalist – Best University Game at Fun&Serious 2016
Thanks to our nomination at the AzPlay we had the opportunity to make a presentation about the development process of StoneHeart, the presentation was recorded, you can see the video here. Latter we had the chance to do the presentation on the F&S, again, thanks to the nomination.
My roles: Lead Programmer & Engine Programmer
This was the first whole year project I did at DigiPen Bilbao, we worked on it during 8 months. I designed the whole engine and programmed most part of it. Apart from my programming tasks I scheduled the work for the programming team and coordinated with the artist team in order to meet the given deadlines.
These are some of the features I implemented for the engine:
- Programmed most of the data driven Entity Component System 2D engine that powered the game.
- Designed and implemented properties, special variables that will show themselves in the GUI and save/load if they where changed (Similar to what Unreal Engine or Unity do).
- Developed an event system that was able to dispatch events to the whole world or send messages to specific entities.
- Programmed a collision system that handled collisions between bounding volumes and tilemap.
- Implemented 2D graphics pipeline including lighting and a special rendering for the tilemap using a mask so that the tiles did not create an obvious repetition.
- Alvaro Rodriguez – Game Designer
- Olatz Arin – Background Designer
- Mikel Orrantia Robles – Gameplay Programmer
- Irene Velasco – UI Designer
- Eurie Cirebide Olabe – Art Producer
- Leia Haidar – Character Designer
- Iker Eizagirre Menchaca – Game Designer
- Borja Portugal Martin – Programming Producer & Technical Lead
Note: Beta could be considered as Gold. We prefer to call it Beta because is an student project.